THE LIFE ACADEMIES
WHAT IS A LIFE ACADEMY?
Specialized, focused coursework within the general HS program of NVCA. Through its high school LIFE Academies, NVCA will collaboratively discover and engage students in education opportunities - beyond core requirements - that uniquely reflect a students interests, talents, passions, and purpose.
These Academies represent small learning communities that provide real-world experiences with companies, businesses and professionals, linking life, school, and work. Specialized coursework is reflected in the focus of each Academy, and also includes required coursework in leadership and service. An internship and final collaborative project is also required.
• Small learning communities
• Focused and specialized coursework
• Life, college and career preparation and internships
PROPOSED ACADEMIES BEGINNING 2018-19 (SOPHOMORE YEAR)
• Business and Communications
• STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
• Creative Arts - Fine or Performing
• Global Studies
WHEN DO STUDENTS APPLY FOR A LIFE ACADEMY?
After freshman year, students will apply for a specific academy to begin in their sophomore year. Academies will require the completion of an additional 4-6 credits beyond basic coursework. With this extra coursework and responsibilities that accompany the program, applicants will demonstrate an ability to approach additional responsibilities with both a scholastic aptitude and appropriate attitude.
LIFE ACADEMIES CONSIST OF:
• LEARNING communities that specialize and focus on a student’s passions and interests
• INTERNSHIPS that provide an opportunity for real world applications and experiences
• FAMILY and FAITH cultural learning opportunities as a component of life preparation
• EXCEPTIONAL focused, advanced coursework in specialty areas.